Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Monday, November 29, 2010
Why not share with you how I revise.
Then we can compare! Hehe... I love comparing, no writer is alike!
After I write my novel I let it sit. About a month, any less and my mind is still to invested. I re-read what has been written and then I start my outline.
That's write people, my outline happens AFTER I've written the novel. I find that if I write it before all is lost and I can never finish the draft. Superstitions have gotten the best of me.
Here are pictures of my process:
This is my first step. My whiteboard. My very first experiment when I began blogging (Writings on the wall) and since then it's become one of my favorite things. I set up the basics, my favorite parts, and a few chapters to get me started.
This is what happens after the whiteboard... my outline. Notebooks and notebooks filled with important character questions, chapters, and an overall view of my novel.
Everyone has them.
For my alternate worlds I create floorplans, find the perfect photos for inspiration, the letters my character writes to each of the people who touch her life.
Click for a better view. I never push hard enough when it comes to my floorplans, I even tried to make the font darker, lol. As you can see I'm not gifted in that respect.
Here is the Traveler's house and the greenhouse. To very important parts of the story.
Does your story come with a road map? Are you a big Outliner? Before or After writing the novel?
Wednesday: Talli Roland's BLOGSPLASH!
Friday: Character Collages and more!
Friday, November 26, 2010
Tahereh called it A Poem of Novels
Christina Lee called it Titles Tell a Story
Either way, I call it GENIUS!
Here is mine!
I PROMISE NOT TO TELL
THE BODY FINDER
about the WHITE CAT
on THE NAUGHTY LIST
after I saw THE BOOK THIEF
IF I STAY these
IMPOSSIBLE dreams must stop
to which they reply YOU WISH
Do you have a story to tell from the novels you own?
Reminder: Next week I'll be blogging here M-W-F and over at Jules and the Stars T-Th I look forward to seeing you all there!!
Thursday, November 25, 2010
Make sure to eat plenty of turkey and pumpkin pie today, because tomorrow you need to have plenty of energy to hang christmas lights and decorate the christmas tree!!!
Be sure to sign up for the blogfest Be Jolly By Golly to show off your awesome stuff! I wanna see how everyone celebrates!!!
I am looking forward to having dinner with my family, extra special since my baby sister is in town, and I'll get to see my niece for the first time!!
So I leave you with some fun pictures on all the awesome food we'll be enjoying!! What are your plans today, regardless whether you're in the states or not!
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
GIVEAWAY: A giveaway is happening at my friend Donea's place! Check it out!!!
I don't know if anyone plans to write during the holidays but if you do then I leave you with some inspiration and motivation!!!
- To be a writer, you must sentence yourself to a life of solitary refinement.
- A writer may leave off writing for a time. A writer cannot leave off being a writer.
- A fair number of fiction writers have been avid liars since childhood.
- Writers have friends, to be sure, but mostly writers have sources.
- Give the opportunity, a writer will fiddle with a piece of writing forever.
All info found here.
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
BIG NEWS! I've started a new blog! Not to worry, Unedited will still be in full force, there will only be a few changes. I will only be posting here Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Jules and the Stars is where I'll be on Tuesday and Thursdays for all the latest gossip and letters to famous individuals. This is for a new project/novel I'm working on and I know this would be beneficial! I look forward to seeing you over at the other neck of the woods! This will help me manage my time and visit you all more often! Please hop over and take a look at the new blog! It means amazing things to come, and who doesn't love a little gossip now and then!
This officially starts NEXT WEEK! I look forward to all your support. This will not be easy, but I'm giving it an honest effort!
Now onto Tuesday Twist!
Three attempts to capture your attention.
Three novels at your fingertips.
1. I used to think our town, buried in the South Carolina backwoods, stuck in the muddy bottom of the Santee River Valley, was the middle of nowhere.
2. Jane Robert leaned against the dresser, studying the way her white silk nightie looked against her sun-kissed skin.
3. This city is not mine by birthright: I was born over three thousand miles away in a sleepy town in the heart of England.
1. Secret Revealed
2. Secret Revealed
3. Secret Revealed
What do you think? Any sound good?
Monday, November 22, 2010
and then I went again.
Oh yeah, I'm talking about Harry Potter (those who aren't a part of this epic event, know that I'll be back to normal posting tomorrow)!
Today are the facts and photos of this awesome event!
- We arrived at 6 PM
- We waited in line for 6 hours
- We were the first in line (weird or not)
- We saw Dumbledore (I know, I know, he's dead)
- I learned a game called Ninja (and at 10PM it's fun)
- Dueling is allowed in the theater
- Harry Potter was awesome!!!!!
- Best film so far (most accurate) Part 2 will probably kick it's ass (I hope!)
- Made $24 Million at midnight (didn't be Twilight, but the Vamps got it going on)
My Photos: Line 6 @ 6, it was meant to be. My husband Trevor, my cousin Matthew, his friend Kera, the kids playing Ninja, a picture of the line!
Melissa Widden's Photos!!!! She had a ton of fun as well! You'll see Mad-Eye Moody, Hedwig, Hogwarts Students, Molly Weasley, Dumbledore! Doesn't Melissa's face paint rock??
Did you enjoy Harry Potter? Did you wait in line? How many times have you seen it?
Saturday, November 20, 2010
You see, I'm starting a new blog (for a purpose) and I would like to create a nice following on that site as well. It is Jules and the Stars.
All I ask is that you stop by and check it out. If you are not a fan you don't have to follow, if isn't your cup of tea don't feel obliged to stop by, however if you find yourself intrigued and interested to know more I'd love for you to follow and also tell your friends. Yes, I'm asking for a little blog love for the new blog. I still plan to blog here M-F and I'm really looking forward to snagging 1000 followers before the end year, the goal remains the same, I just have new ones as well.
An opportunity has arose for a new book, the problem is that this blog doesn't fit the bill for the type of reader I want to grab, and since I plan to use a pen name I thought it appropriate to start networking now so when the future arrives I'm ready.
I appreciate anyone who reads this regardless whether you make it over to the new blog or not!!! Thank you ;) Happy Weekend!
So do please stop by at Jules and the Stars!
Friday, November 19, 2010
Last day that I get to spend with my awesome lady friends... but I had a blast and this has been one wild adventure.
He would not exist if the Wizarding World had never been created. Which is why I'm going to share with you... today... some of the best reasons to live in the Wizarding World.
Note: I'm very upset that JK Rowling is holding out on the real Hogwarts, Hogmeades anything else magical she's hiding from us. I mean, I know I'm a muggle, but isn't there an app for that?
- First stop on the Harry Potter train. Enter by brick, flu network, or apparting, this is a one stop shop for all the necessities.
- Owls, wands, potions, dress robes, this magical land leaves you with an empty pocket book but a handful of goodies for the next fall at Hogwarts.
- Is an explanation really needed? (yes, yes, I'll still give you one, just a minute).
- First... you get to live with your best friends (seriously, that's on a scale of coolness times a gazillion), you get to eat amazing foods and no one passes judgement (hello, Dumbledore's obsession with candy - totally passed down to the students... no calorie counting here)
- Floating Candles, Thunder storms, snow, pumpkins, everything right in your view with no hassle of spilled wax or soaked clothing. What's not to love.
- Ghosts, here you actually learn that ghosts can be friendly... and those that aren't, did it to themselves.
- This is so a place. Totally where the magic happens (get your head out of the gutter). Teamwork happens here, everyone bans together.
- Flying on brooms (hello, that alone should entice you)
- No matter who you wanna be (seeker, beater, etc) you're hot sauce, and those sitting on the sidelines want your number. (who needs sexy singles.com?)
- You can drink. Seriously... don't worry, no legal age limit here (butterbeer anyone).
- Gossip, only the best in town, just make sure you snag the invisibility cloak for maximum information.
- Cookies, candies and more, the trips to Fred & George's place will rock your socks off... never in a million years would you imagine this much candy under one roof... not to mention love spells, and the perfect potion to get out of class.
There you have it... I've given you 5 EPIC days of Harry Potter love... Now, by this time I will have already watched the midnight showing... but I do not divulge or enable my friends... no, no, you'll have to watch for yourself... we'll catch up later. You know where to find me. (Okay, but seriously, after you watch it, totally email me... I'm dying to talk Potter.)
Thursday, November 18, 2010
of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY
Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,
Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)
Dear Mrs. Daiker,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.
The second page with requirements (so.not.important)
This was my reaction:
1. Stares at Letter
2. Touches emblem
3. Re-reads letter
4. Jumps on the bed
5. Pulls out suitcase
6. Stares at letter again (want to make sure it's real)
7. Pee's a little (of course, only natural, overly excited)
8. Re-reads letter
9. Dances around suitcase
10. Shares news with parentals
11. Listens as they read the letter
12. Screams when they says it's time to grab supplies
13. Blinks rapidly, frozen in place
14. Grabs pants to visit Diagon Alley
15. Re-reads letter
16. Dances around suitcase once more
17. Hugs parentals (maybe a little to long)
18. Vows to always be good
19. Climbs in the car
20. Realizes the flu networks faster
That's my reaction... care to share yours?
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Note: I know I mention no one by the name of Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley, Dumbledore, Fred & George Weasley, Professor Snape, or Draco Malfoy, and for good reason, they're not females. It's my blog. I do what I want.
- Savior - Without her, the books would have been The Lost Boys.
- Mistakes - She makes mistakes but we all do (I'm talking to you Harry - It was ONE troll ONE time... let it go already)
- Hero - Three headed dog anyone? How about Devil's Snare incident (yeah, you're welcome Ron). Not to mention the countless spells she can conjure up with the flick of her wand. (She's just that cool.)
- Love - Her love for Harry runs deep. (Thank God, someone needs to keep Harry in check)
- Human (sort of) - So she opened a journal. So it happened to be Tom Riddle's (how was she supposed to know he was a jerk) I know she almost got herself killed, but Fawkes and Harry saved her (so, no biggie)
- Fighter - I mean, she doesn't take shizz from Harry, even when he tries to be all like "I need to do this on my own," "I don't want anyone else getting hurt," oh no buddy, she's on.to.you.
- Talent - One slick witch, hexes, Dumbledore's Army, oh yeah, she's not one to mess with.
- Qudditch- oh yes, both seeker and chaser (eat your heart out Harry)
- Comic Relief - Everyone needs it in trying times.
- Compassion - Always out for the best interest. She didn't look at Harry weird when he thought he was going crazy (winged horses, so.not.crazy)
- Loyalty - Stands by the Quibbler, and her father. Without her we'd never wonder what Blibbering Humdinger or the Crumple-Horned Snorkack were! (It's time we ask questions people!)
- Follows Rules - Don't make her give you detention (Harry, Hermione, Ron) don't make her take house points (Harry, Hermione, Ron) she's badazz and has no problem punishing those who aren't following rules.
- Strong - She doesn't put up with crap. You cause trouble in her neck of the woods she'll be all up in your bizness, best be sure of that, don't talk trash about the main man in charge (Dumbledore) or her little chicks (Hogwarts students) cuz you won't like the wrath of this badazz animagus (better watch yourself Umbridge)
- Caring - Always has the best interest of members and staff, you need help, she'll help you even out of the stickiest situations.
- Protector - You got something to say? Best watch your back if it's something nasty, this mama bear watches over her cubs, and she has no problem setting those little snakes back in their spots (Bellatrix, any last words?)
- Motherly - Hungry (why wait, Have some at Molly's) this woman never leaves a child with an empty stomach. Harry Potter's second home, this warm place is all thanks to Molly, without her and her little cubs safe the world would be a very dark place.
- Trusting - She knows who is trustworthy and when something has been broken, a link in the chain doesn't get past this one, this adorable little worrier will fight for those she loves... this is one mama you'll want on your side (hell yes I'm on Team Molly)
So there you have it... several brave and badazz woman in Harry Potter... kicking butt and taken names.
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
My Gal Pals joining in the fun:
Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honorary member of the Dark Force Defense League, and five times winner of Witch Weekly Most Charming Smile Award. But he didn't get rid of the Banden Banshee by smiling at him.
This man knows what it's all about.
He's written countless books:
Break With A Banshee
Gadding With Ghouls
Gilderoy Lockhart's Guide to Household Pests
Holidays With Hags
Magical Me (his autobiography)
Travel With Trolls
Voyages With Vampires
Wandering With Werewolves
Year With The Yeti
And can attract any young adult around (female that is) so why aren't we listening to him? Because he hasn't shared his secrets, luckily I've found a few secrets up his sleeve.
Always Positive- Can you possibly imagine a better way to serve detention, than by helping me to answer my fan mail?(Such kindness)
Great Advice - Fame is a fickle friend Harry. Celebrity is as celebrity does. Remember that. (so true... so wise... so...)
Plugging, not a problem - Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little dueling club, to train you all up, in case you ever need to defend yourselves, as I myself have done on countless occasions. For full details, see my published works. (saw a moment and took it.)
Appearance Important - It's really quite filthy down here.(must keep those blue robes tidy)
Partier - Spooky how the time flies when one's having fun.(oh yeah, always making light of the situation)
Confident, lovable, well respected or maybe conceited, annoying, hated by many... yeah, maybe we don't want to take his ways to awesome, but at least we enjoyed him acting a fool in front of us.
Regardless the man has some flair, and I think as writer's we could find a little Gilderoy in ourselves when the timing is right.
All quotes found here.
Monday, November 15, 2010
Release Week. Midnight Showing. Yes folks, it's EPIC. All those obsessed with the tale, the novels, the movies, and the fab JK Rowling, we all UNITE in the week of Harry Potter.
A team of us have banned together this week to give you Harry Potter (yes, this addiction must be fed) so here are the other fabulous participants:
Do stop in to see the magic they're stirring up!
Also I just found an awesome blogfest happening with all things Hary Potter over at In Time (Michael's blog) do check it out! See why revisions can wait?
Let's get started. This is my letter to JK Rowling.
Dear Jo, (cuz that's your name)
How lucky are you too be so uber popular. People in the real world think that YOU being REJECTED twelve times is an OUTRAGE. Well we know in the writer's world, that's quite amazing (lucky). Still I bet your laughing at the thought that all those losers passed you up and are probably regretting it (just kidding, I know, you're humble, or not).
I'm guessing your a witch (feel free to write me back if I'm incorrect), and you've had quite the numbers game.
13 being the lucky publishing number (ahem, most people consider 13 an unlucky number, but you're a witch so it's cool)
7 years until you met the love of your life, along with 7 novels, and 7 horcruxes to be found.
Did you really think we wouldn't notice these numbers? I mean, did you honestly think you wouldn't get caught. We know your abilities go deeper than just writing Harry Potter (I'm keeping my eye on you).
Regardless, I want to thank you for your EPIC idea and your EPIC attitude. One day we'll meet. Accio JK Rowling! *looks around* (crap, where is she?), AHEM, ACCIO JK ROWLING! *blinks* (stupid wand).
I'm sure you're hiding under the invisibility cloak, don't worry, I get it, you think I'm crazy... trust me I'm not. *scans room* *grabs thin air* (this could take awhile).
Witch at heart (swear I'm not a stalker),
PS - Could you send me a wand that works? Oh and your interview with Oprah rocked my world (though I still believe Oprah was rude talking over you, we wanted to hear you, not her).
Author Note: Oprah's feelings were not hurt during the making of this letter.
Extras: This video was an attempt to look like I was stalking JK Rowling. I obvs need work on my skillz, but I figured rather than choosing a photo I thought I'd just show you this ridiculous video. (even though I don't like you tube for discriminating against work computers! Sorry Matthew!)
NOTE: Speakers should be lowered. I laugh loud. Though I hear it's contagious (please be nice, I have feelings).
Friday, November 12, 2010
The month of January has a new meaning for me.
The month I:
- Began blogging
- I wrote a novel
- I found Blue Willow
- I met Ally Carter
- I realized I was a young adult author
Definitely wasn't going to try my hand at becoming a chef. The inspiration, however, was born, there I started a blog and began to write. Susan Elizabeth Phillips and Stephen King also inspired me.
All of you taught me to love books. Not just any books, Young Adult. A concept so foreign to me I was afraid to even visit the section in a bookstore.
I'm no longer afraid. I love to read and write young adult. It is where my passion is and will always be.
Thank you Blue Willow for showing me your love of books (especially young adult) and thank you bloggers for doing the same.
Now after all that sap and story telling we get to the good stuff.
BOOKS! Here is what I have to read... oh yes, I plan on reading all of them.
Don't worry I won't leave you hanging... Here's what I have:
Close to Famous by Joan Bauer (release date: Feb 2011)
Trauma Queen by Barbara Dee (release date: Apr 2011)
The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney (out NOW!)
Love, Inc. by Yvonne Collins & Sandy Rideout (release date: Jan 2011)
Entwined by Heather Dixon (release date: Mar 2011)
Vampire Crush by A.M. Robinson (release date: Dec 2010)
Head Games by Keri Mikulski (release date: Jan 2011)
The Lying Game by Sara Shepard (release date: Dec 2010)
Pink by Lili Wilkinson (release date: Feb 2011)
What are you reading?
NEXT WEEK: I planned on it being revision week, but my love for Harry Potter is so large that every post will have a Harry Potter theme... get ready for the awesome!
Thursday, November 11, 2010
Before I get to my truths I have a huge announcement!!! Welcome to My World by Miranda Dickinson is out today!!! Be sure to stop by her blog, twitter, facebook, to wish her a HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY!
Now onto the post at hand! The cover of Miranda's book is perfect for this holiday post I have planned!
Be Jolly by Golly Blog fest!
Christmas cookies and happy hearts, this is how the holiday starts!
Melissa and I have teamed together to create an awesome blog fest for all the awesome bloggers out there!
We adore the holidays!
Especially Christmas… and what better way to celebrate then to share your space!!
We want to know how you celebrate!
So before you get our tinsel in a tangle here are the RuLeS:
1.Blog Post to be posted on December 20th (whatever time you desire)
2.Show pictures of your decorations, holiday lights & Christmas tree!
3.Share your favorite treat (Recipe included, chance for others to steal the yumminess!)
4.Share your favorite drink (Recipe included, chance for others to steal the alcohol – or non)
5.Last but not least… visit others!!! Take part in their holiday cheer!
Note: For those who don’t celebrate Christmas, you’re welcome to share any other holiday you are celebrating in this year!
Feel free to grab our AWESOME badge and share the love on this fun blog fest! So I leave you with a few fun pictures found on google that fit the bill this holiday season!
So are you in? SAY YES! SAY YES!
Wednesday, November 10, 2010
I have an idea.
I let it marinate (plot in my head).
I sit and write.
My life is consumed until it's complete.
1st novel written (5 weeks), 2nd novel written (14 days), 3rd novel written (5 days).
So here are tips to help you finish writing your novel.
1. Set aside a time to write and keep it sacred. (I make time, my mind and the story consume my brain until it's written. I write until my fingers are about to fall off).
2. Remove all distractions while you write. (this insures you get the most out of the time. I fall victim to distractions but when I'm in the moment nothing stops me.)
3. Outline your plot. (I added this for those who struggle with their thoughts. Write them down, get the story set up before you begin.)
4. Avoid the intimidation of a blank computer screen. (Key: Just write)
5. Keep a draft mentality. (This is a draft. Several writers revise and write, revise and write, but when you're just looking to finish a draft, put that revise mentality in the back of your mind and Just Write.)
6. Don't feel compelled to begin at the beginning. (for NaNo writers I'm not sure this would work, but if you're just looking to start writing, start where you feel is right.)
7. Organize your chapters, especially if you are not going to write in order. (If writing out of order this will work for you a lot more!)
8. Don't be afraid of putting yourself out there. (sharing work will change your life!)
9. Only you can determine when you are finished. (When it's done it's done. Don't let anyone tell you, only you really know.)
10. Make up your mind to finish your novel, and you can do it. The only thing standing in the way is you.
For more tips in detail visit this link.
Have any other thoughts you'd like to share? Any other tips?
Tuesday, November 9, 2010
In lieu of all those participating in NaNoWriMo, and all those who are just writing I figure what a perfect month to have some fun with writing!
This weeks Tuesday Twist is a bit different, everything will be my writing.
Yes, I'm sharing. It won't be up for long, I've recently gotten a little superstitious with everything I write. However I think these are fun to share...
So here they are.
1. At our best we are invisible.
2. Society and it's traditions are overrated.
3. Midnight neared, my first test run moments away.
1. Tully from The Traveler's
2. Stella from Getting to Peloria
3. Fina from Dreaming of Raslina
Feel free to share your own favorite lines!
In extra news: Rebecca Talley is having a contest! If you pre-order her novel The Upside of Down you'll be entered to win a $50 Amazon giftcard! Her book sounds amazing!
Monday, November 8, 2010
Blog Tour Extravaganza!
That's right! I'm sure most of you know Tamara Hart Heiner, but incase you don't, you're in for a real treat! I've joined her blog tour, and within this blog tour we talk about a wonderful book coming out (HERS!) and some great giveaways! So let's get started!
Publish Date: November 16th (Pre-Order Now)
Terrifying, riveting, and jaw dropping. Jaci's world is turned upside down after a night out with her friends at a shopping mall. Patiently waiting for their ride the girls witness something scandalous and before they know they are kidnapped and fighting for their lives.
These scenes will keep you on your toes time and time again. Just when you think your heart has stopped racing, Jaci and her friends have done something to stir the pot. You root for them to escape and are terrified when you find out these men truly are out for blood.
The wild ride you are about to encounter will have your heart racing all the way until the end. This book will be one you think about for quite awhile after it's over, allowing yourself time to come down from the adrenaline rush. You'd be crazy not to pick this novel up!
And now here are the GIVEAWAY details!
1) There will be two book giveaways. Signed copies of Perilous, of course. All you have to do to get in on that action is make a comment anywhere in the blog tour. The is a Random drawing
2) There will be a Kindle giveaway. This WON'T be random. Kindles are kind of a big thing, so I'm going to make you work for it. The giveaway will be point based, in other words, whoever has the most points at the end of the blog tour wins the Kindle. The contest will run until Dec. 15, at which point all hopeful winners will email me at tamara at tamarahartheiner dot com with their points and their proofs.
Here's how you get points:
+1 for each comment on the blog tour
+1 be a follower on my blog (old or new)
+2 blog about the blog tour
(You prove all of those by emailing me the links.)
+5 purchase the book; ebook or paperback, doesn't matter
(Email me the confirmation number of your purchase.)
Here are the links for all the other fabulous participants!
Saturday, November 6, 2010
Jessica at The Alliterative Allomorph is having the best giveaway!!!
In lieu of 400 followers this contest will be held until December 2nd (plenty of time!)
1st place: $40 Amazon Giftcard (I know! Flippin awesome!
2nd place: $20 Amazon Giftcard
3rd place: $10 Amazon Giftcard
Runner up: Surprise! Something Greek!
She added a twist (don't you love twists!) If she reaches 500 followers (currently at 377 - go help!) she'll double the prizes!!!
1st place: $80 Amazon Giftcard
2nd place: $40 Amazon Giftcard
3rd place: $20 Amazon Giftcard
Runner up: Surprise! Something Greek! (this one looks the same to me)
Her entry system is really super easy! Don't miss out on all her awesome... seriously she rocks! So tell her I sent you when you stopped by!
Friday, November 5, 2010
Oh you didn't know?
That's okay. Now you do.
For those who are new here... WELCOME... we love to have you visit (as in we, I mean me) and without you I feel lost, and all alone (trust me, no one wants that)
So by now I'm sure you've learned my randomness. (if not... now you know)
I promised you all pictures of my costume, and my honey's... so here we are...
Awesome right? I know, I know... we rocked it. It was a blast! For those who want more you know where to find me (facebook... that's where it's at)
More randomness... I found my new favorite band.
Neon Trees (If you like them for nothing else... the band name alone rocks your world)
You must check out my two favorite songs of them right now... Animal & 1983...
So there we are... that's my random for the day, what's yours?
BTW - Next week I have a blog tour scheduled, another edition of tuesday twist, and some revision posts! Get ready for the awesome! One more thing - I updated a few of my pages! Enjoy :)
Thursday, November 4, 2010
Today I've decided to take a different approach still all truths, just of a profession... so.lets.get.started.
Truth Thursdays of a Restaurant Server.
1. Be Nice. People spit in food. I have never done it. That doesn't mean my fellow co-workers didn't. After being asked to heat up a bowl of soup for the 30th time, telling her that she's too dumb to properly heat soup and then demand a manager to complain... yeah you'll find spit.
2. I was a certified trainer. Serving and training my heart out. However when these people "supposedly" loved me I had asked to leave Iowa and transfer to a store in Houston my general manager told me "I'm not sure it's going to work, you have so many up and down days I'm not sure you'd do well somewhere else", so much for being special, she basically just called me insane.
3. Less is more. It would make you sick to know how many refills individuals asks for (no I'm not referring to soda) I'm talking bread, dressings, etc (trying to not devulge where I work! It's harder than I thought). I know not everyone watches a calorie count but trust me, no one needs that last roll.
4. Snow vs Rain. I've learned two things, Snow brings customers in Des Moines, Rain keeps customers away in Houston. It could be that in Iowa people are tired of being stuck inside from all the cold so a night out on the town sounds fun, where as in Houston rain doesn't happen often so everyone likes to steer clear.
5. Friends 4 Life. Your server friends are your best drinking buddies. The closest bar from the restuarant you'll find everyone with their shirts and aprons in tow with a beer in front of them. They never let you down when in need of a drink.
Best job I've worked to date.
Any stories with serving? Any stories in other jobs?
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
CSN stores was sweet enough to allow me to have a fabulous giveaway on my blog!
What's up for grabs???
$65 Gift Certificate!!!
CSN Stores has over 200 online stores where you can find everything from stylish briefcases to cute cookware to chic lighting pieces!
With the holidays around the corner gifts galore can be snagged on this amazing website!! Also anything you need to provide yourself with an awesome new office! Spice things up for the holiday season :)
So leave a link in the comment if you're joining in on the fun! I'll choose a winner over the weekend (so leave your email)! Do give a twitter and/or blog shout out for extra points!
My dream office complete with my perfect writing chair (perfect for NaNo):
NOTE: I'm making my way to 1000 followers! After this super special giveaway and once I reach that amazing number, I'll be hosting one awesome giveaway... a couple of awesome baskets... books, soaps, lotions, teas and more! The faster I get to 1000 the faster you get the giveaway :)
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
How does it work? (for those of you who are new)
Three attempts to capture your attention.
Three novels at your fingertips.
This week I'd like to thank Blue Willow for turning my attention to several new books coming out next year, in which I will be sharing about today! So get ready for those TBR piles to climb!
1. I the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees.
2. Three things I know this second: I have morning breath, I'm naked, and I'm waking up next to a boy I don't know.
3. Nothin "Monday morning story worthy" ever happens to me.
1. Secret Revealed
2. Secret Revealed
3. Secret Revealed
Any sound interesting? (again a big thanks to Blue Willow Bookshop for always sharing some of the best reads around!)
Monday, November 1, 2010
November has arrived and what better way to start the month then with some writing advice.
1. Tell, don't show.
2. Your characters should each only house one emotion for the duration of your novel. More than that is overkill.
3. If your story takes place in Iowa, chuck it. It most likely sucks (uh... ahem... wait a minute. Some of mine do!)
4. Always give a detailed description of all characters within the first chapter of your novel.
5. While writing always have a cupcake nearby. The scent of frosting peaks the imagination, therefore leaving you with one incredible tale in your hands... I'm talking #1 best seller folks. No joke. (my mothers, brothers, friends, moms, sisters, cousins, son had it happen.)
Note: For those who didn't catch it. This would be bad advice. The best writing advice I have is... to NOT follow the 'advice' I just gave you.
So what's some of the worst writing advice you've received or heard?